Wooden Golf Tees vs. Plastic Golf Tees vs. Bamboo Golf Tees – Pros and Cons
A concise review of which golf tees are most suitable for you.
At first glance, golf may seem like a sport that is less physically demanding and more effortless compared to other sports, such as basketball, soccer, and baseball. However, golf is, in reality, much harder to excel at, requiring a tremendous amount of skill and technique when executing a single swing during the game. Thus, it is not a surprise that golfers often seek and surround themselves with the best equipment, supplies, and gear to enhance their performances and increase the chances of winning a game.
Common equipment that golfers prioritize include clubs and golf balls, but golf tees are also extremely vital tools that are capable of aiding a golfer in performing game-changing swings. This is because a golf ball that is placed on the turf or ground may be more prone to a missed swing, whereas if the ball was placed on top of a tee, it may greatly increase the probability of a smooth, direct contact between the club and the ball.
So, now that we know how beneficial golf tees are, the next question would be which golf tees are most suitable? Firstly, let’s take a look at the two most popular and common types of golf tee, bamboo and plastic tees.
- Long-lasting: Plastic tees are often much more durable and sturdier compared to bamboo tees, thus, allowing more frequent usage without needing to constantly replenish and purchase new boxes of tees.
- Less friction: Zero-friction plastic tees were introduced as a type of tee that has minimal resistance and friction, thus, allowing the ball to be in its full velocity. This fares particularly well if a player was attempting a slightly longer-ranged swing.
- Bend easily: Although plastic tees do not easily break as mentioned, it often bends after using it for some time, rendering it unusable.
- Damaging to our environment: As plastic tees are made of plastic, it takes extremely long for them to break down. Even when it does break down, the contents of a plastic tee are often toxic and damaging to our environment and ecosystem.
- Biodegradable: The main reason why wooden tees are so popular with golfers is that it biodegrades and doesn’t harm the environment in the process of doing so. Many professionals and major golf tournaments, such as the PGA (Professional Golfers’ Association), use and encourage the usage of wooden tees for this particular reason.
- Customizable: Wooden tees allow a high degree of customization and modification compared to other tees. Some golfers like to add engraving to their tees or fill it with all sorts of different colors to create a fresh look.
- Less visibility: Due to the natural color of wood, wooden tees often blend into the turf at the golf course, making it difficult to spot and locate.
- Prone to snapping: Especially if the turf is a hardened one, wooden tees are prone to be snapped off if placed and pushed on it, rendering it completely useless.
- Friction: Compared to a plastic tee, a wooden tee creates much more friction and is capable of decreasing a ball’s velocity. This is one of the largest drawbacks of wooden tees, as it can potentially impact a player’s performance drastically.
Biodegradable Bamboo Tees
- Durability: In comparison with wooden tees, bamboo tees are much more resilient and will not break as easily when being pushed into a hard turf. Needless to say, this also means that bamboo tees are also capable of being re-used repetitively with minimal replacement needed; bamboo tees can also be 1.5x stronger than an average wooden tee.
- Rapid-Biodegradability: Similar to wooden tees, bamboo tees are also biodegradable, except for the fact that it biodegrades much, much faster. For example, the Biodegradable Bamboo Golf Tees only needs six months for it to start biodegrading, whereas a standard wooden tee requires three years, averagely.
- Economical: Bamboo tees, compared to both wooden and plastic tees, are considered more economical and lower in cost.
- Fixed sizes: There are usually fewer sizes, designs, and colors available for bamboo tees compared to wooden and plastic tees.
When it comes to what method to employ when selecting and deciding which golf tees are the most suitable for you, there isn’t a one-size-fits-all approach, rather it is more important for you to make a decision that you’re comfortable with. However, it is still urged upon you and all the other golf players that, when selecting tees, ethics should be kept in mind. For example, plastic tees are often non-biodegradable and inflict almost irreversible damage to the environment, thus, the continuous usage of plastic tees is likely considered unethical; as mentioned above, major golfing tournaments tend to discourage the usage of any golf tees that are harmful and potentially threatening to our environment.
On the other hand, with wooden and bamboo trees, you can easily avoid all these problems as they are both biodegradable and are proven not to impact the environment negatively. It is acknowledged that wooden tees may sometimes be slightly too expensive and can seem unaffordable for some golf players, especially beginners and players new to golf. Thus, an alternative would be to employ bamboo tees, which are not only cheaper in terms of costs, but also uncompromising regarding their quality, durability, and performance.
Visit https://biodegradablegolfballs.com/ now to purchase quality-assured and environmentally-friendly biodegradable bamboo tees now!
Categorised in: Why Green?
This post was written by Mitchell Schols